LISBON – At four weeks into the new school year the Beaver Local School District is off to a good start, Superintendent Eric Lowe said.
Lowe said during this month’s Board of Education meeting that the district appreciates the partnership with St. Clair police and the collaboration with police Chief Brian McKenzie for offering safety training to staff to open the year.
He added that the state School Resource Officer Association assisted in training drivers from Beaver Local and other districts about safety on the buses.
Beaver Local staff also received Stop the Bleed Training, along with information on the Threat Assessment Team, and ALICE training.
District Treasurer Stacy Williams said during the board meeting that the district is examining the purchase of buses as the district has followed a program to continue to update their fleet.
In other business, the board approved:
– A second reading of the following NEOLA policies regarding Copy of Use of Medications and Care of Students with Diabetes.
– The Red Pride Marching Band Trip to Nashville, Tenn. April 4-7, 2023.
– A donation of $ 500 from the Columbiana County Emergency Management Agency for use of the sports complex during their nuclear drill.
– A resolution which authorizes the board of education to adopt or amend policies at a single meeting of the board in an emergency situation for the safety or welfare of the students or employees of the district.
– The hiring of Jessica Pickens as custodian.
– High school advisors and volunteers for the 2022-23 school year.
– The following as substitutes for the school year: Mike Solterbeck, teacher; Connie Shive, teacher; Jennifer Clark, food service worker and secrtary; Leanna Nolder, food service worker and Dominick Lisk, custodian.
– The following as mentors: Toni DeBord, seventh grade Social Studies; Amy Wolski, second and third grade; Terra Schwerha, elementary health / physical education;
Samantha Smith, middle and high school Special Education; Katie Neville, high school Special Education; Allison Ash, high school Social Studies; Dayna Hendricks, high school Language Arts, and Molly Young, Lead Mentor.
– A one year supplemental contract for Nick Sesonsky as Winter Strength Coach
– A salary adjustment to Masters for Shane O’Brien.
– An executive session to discuss matters to be kept confidential by federal law or regulations or state statutes. No action was taken.