CLINTON, SC – The Presbyterian College volleyball team opened its home slate on Thursday night suffering a 3-1 (25-17, 23-25, 20-25, 22-25) defeat at the hands of USC Upstate inside the Templeton Center. The Blue Hose were led by junior outside hitter Kasey Battle who totaled a career-high 12 kills on 26 swings. Junior setter Kinsey Bailey tallied 32 assists and 10 digs in the contest.
FINAL SCORE: USC Upstate 3, Presbyterian 1
LOCATION: Templeton Center (Clinton, SC)
RECORDS: Presbyterian (4-9, 0-1) | USC Upstate (3-10, 1-0)
How it Happened
– PC jumped on the Spartans with an early 10-4 run to force Upstate into an early timeout in the opening set. The Blue Hose were able to push the lead to eight, 15-7 before a 5-1 USC Upstate burst cut the margin to just four at 16-12. The hosts used a 5-2 run to take a 21-14 advantage forcing the Spartans to take their second timeout. PC and Upstate went back and forth down the stretch before the Blue Hose used a Rylee Moorhead kill to take set one 25-17.
– The Blue Hose started fast in set two with a quick 4-1 spurt that was answered by the guests with four in a row to give Upstate the tight 5-4 advantage. Both teams traded mini runs over the next several points with Upstate able to push in front 12-10 in the set. PC was able to answer with a 5-2 run and take a 15-14 lead to the media timeout. The Blue Hose were able to score the next three points before Upstate answered with five of the next six points and even it at 19 forcing the hosts to burn a timeout. USC Upstate went on a 5-2 burst en route to a 25-23 set wines.
– The Blue Hose continued the strong set starts with a 5-3 lead in the early going of set three with the Spartans rattling off six of the next nine points to push in front by the score of 9-7. PC was able to respond with a 6-3 run and get back in front by the score of 13-12. USC Upstate seized control of the set with a 7-1 run to pull in front by the count of 19-14 and force PC to take a timeout. PC quickly cut the margin to three, 19-16 but the Spartans were able to hold on down the stretch to win 25-20.
– In set four, USC Upstate raced out to a 7-1 lead in the early going to gain early control of the set. PC answered with an 8-3 burst to cut the deficit to one, 10-9 and force the guests into a timeout. USC Upstate used another 7-1 burst to push the advantage to 17-10 and force the Blue Hose to spend another timeout. In a set of runs, PC responded again with an 8-3 spurt to cut the deficit to two, 20-18. The two teams went back and forth late before USC Upstate secured the match win behind a 25-22 set four.
– Battle led the Blue Hose offense with 12 kills which set a new career-high for the Presbyterian junior. She tallied her 12 kills on 26 swings while hitting .346 in the match.
– Moorhead totaled her fifth match of the season with 10+ kills as she had 11 kills in Thursday’s match. She also added nine digs in the contest.
– Hailey Grocholski tied her season-high with five blocks, while also adding six kills.
– Bailey added her third double-double of the season with 32 assists and 10 digs. The Coppell, Texas native also added four kills and three aces to her stat line.
– PC wraps up its first conference weekend on Friday at 6 pm when the Blue Hose welcome in preseason favorite High Point to the Templeton Center. The matchup with High Point will be shown on ESPN +.