The University of Maine will celebrate Earth Week 2022 from April 18–22 with a slate of events.
Every day of Earth Week, UMaine’s Green Campus Initiative (GCI) will host a scavenger hunt for prizes hidden on campus, with clues posted on GCI Instagram photos @umainegci – Instagram Profile – User Profile each morning. GCI also will host its annual Earth Week nature photo contestwhere participants simply go out and take pictures of nature and either tag GCI on social media or email the group at [email protected]. Grand prize, second and third place winners will be chosen randomly. The group also encourages participants to view a film series about the Human Dimensions of Climate Change, sponsored by Fogler Library, on-line.
UMaine Earth Week will also coincide with this year’s Virtual Healthy High 5K and 10K Race, a collaboration with the Division of Student Life and Title IX Student Services. This year’s race focuses on promoting healthy relationships, ending sexual violence, and raising awareness of April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Proceeds go to the Physical Education Student Organization, Black Bear Exchange, and the Division of Student Life and Title IX Services. Register online for instructions on completing the race and options to submit results.
The schedule of daily Earth Week events:
Monday, April 18
- noon – 2 pm, Plant and Craft Swap sponsored by UMaine Green Team, Memorial Union Totman Lounge
The Green Team will host a swap for plants and crafting supplies at the Memorial Union Totman Lounge to help the community reduce waste and consumption. Participants can bring extra plants or crafting supplies by the swap or come to pick up new ones.
Tuesday, April 19
- 2–4 pm, Microgreens Planting sponsored by UMaine GCI, on the Mall (rain location: Memorial Union)
Microgreens are easy to take care of, only take about two weeks to grow, and are filled with essential nutrients. Participants can join GCI to plant their own microgreen seeds. All materials provided.
Wednesday, April 20
- 10 am – 2 pm, Fresh Check, sponsored by UMaine Student Wellness Resource Center, the Mall (rain location: Memorial Union)
College Check-In Day or Fresh-Check Day is an event that aims to increase awareness and education regarding mental health and suicide prevention for college students. Participants can join the Student Wellness Resource Center to play games, win prizes and learn how to help a friend in need.
- 10 am – 2 pm, Pop-up Shop sponsored by UMaine Green Team and the Black Bear Exchange, Memorial Union Totman Lounge
Participants can bring their unwanted clothes and swap for new ones. All items are free and no clothing donation is required.
- 5–7 pm, Earth Crafts sponsored by UMaine GCI, on the Mall (rain location: Memorial Union)
Participants can grab a plastic water bottle and join UMaine GCI on the Mall to create a water bottle fish with paint, trash and other supplies. The fish can be kept or added to the UMaine Green Team Garbage Gallery later in the week.
Thursday, April 21
- 4–6 pm, Redemption Center Bottle Toss sponsored by UMaine GCI, on the Mall (rain location: Memorial Union)
Test your knowledge of Maine’s Bottle Bill rules, Maine recycling trivia, and your aim. Representatives will ask participants questions and give chances to toss bottles into their respective bins.
- 5–6 pm, Sustainable Menstrual Products sponsored by UMaine Feminist Collective, Intersection Feminist Resource Center in the Memorial Union
Learn about sustainable options for menstrual products with the UMaine Feminist Collective. The first 20 attendees will receive a free June Cup.
- 8–10 pm, Sustainable Crafts sponsored by UMaine Campus Activities Board, Memorial Union North Pod
Join the Campus Activities Board to make sustainable crafts.
Friday, April 22
- Spire Issue No. 6 Launch, online
The Maine Journal of Conservation and Sustainability is publishing its sixth issue of Spire on Earth Day. Issue No. 6 contains a variety of submissions, including art, poetry, photography, research and personal stories. Access the latest and back issues by clicking here.
- 11 am – 1 pm, Earth Day at the Den sponsored by UMaine Dining and GCI, Memorial Union
UMaine Dining will debut a new reusable container program. Attendees can learn more about sustainability efforts and how UMaine Dining is working with local food producers. GCI will support and showcase all the things that Auxiliary Services does to help put the Earth first. Buy into the program and enter to win some great prizes.
- 11 am – 2 pm, Sustainability Networking Poster Session, Memorial Union Bear’s The Upper Level
The poster session will bring together students, businesses and communities working on sustainability solutions, including faculty and graduate and undergraduate students, as well as communities and colleagues involved in or interested in sustainability research. Researchers at the event can spark new research ideas, start collaborations in interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary related topics, learn about sustainability research topics and activities. Students can hear about careers, research, and opportunities related to sustainability science. Stakeholder partners, businesses and alumni can share their experiences, engage new communities and potential clients, and meet the existing and emerging workforce involved with sustainability research and businesses. Coupons for coffee, cookies and snacks will be available for participants.
- noon – 2 pm, Campus Clean Up sponsored by SEAD, New Balance Student Recreation Center
Help make campus more beautiful by cleaning up litter in the Rec Center area and Hilltop Lot on Earth Day. Trash bags and gloves will be provided.
- 3–4 pm, Garbage Gallery sponsored by UMaine Green Team, Memorial Union Totman Lounge
UMaine Green Team will host a gallery of creative trash art, or “trart.” Bring trart to display, get a social media shout-out and gain recognition for your work.
The full schedule of events can be found on the UMaine Earth Week 2022 webpage and will be updated as events are finalized.