The festival highlights the Library’s World Languages collection – which features books in over 60 languages available online and at branches throughout the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island – and reflects the many cultures and languages of our patrons.
Books are available to download using the Library’s e-reader app, SimplyE, or available for checkout at local branches.
The festival will run through the end of the month.
A selection of programs with authors from around the world, called In Conversation, will also be presented in the writer’s language.
- On April 12, 2022, Puerto Rican poet, fiction writer, academic, and multi-award-winning author Mayra Santos-Febres will discuss her work as a writer and supporter of international literature. (This conversation will be held online En español / In Spanish.) Patrons can register for the event here.
- On April 13, 2022, Korean author Un-su Kim will discuss his award-winning books The Cabinet (This conversation will be held online 한국어 / in Korean.) Patrons can register for the event here.
- On April 19, 2022, acclaimed French novelist Patrick Deville will be joined by celebrated translator José Manuel Fajardo. (This conversation will be held online in En français / in French.) Patrons can register for the event here.
- On April 23, 2022, prolific author and longtime New Yorker Liu Yong will discuss his extensive background writing motivational nonfiction, novels, children’s fables, and art treatises that has influenced generations of Chinese culture. (This conversation will be held online in / in Mandarin.) Patrons can register for the event here.
- On April 28, 2022, Ukrainian author Boris Palant will discuss his book Bill of Rights, a legal analysis of the most famous cases heard by the US Supreme Court, in addition to discussing the history and significance of the document. (This conversation will be held online На русском / in Russian.) Patrons can register for the event here.
Related: Schomburg Teach-In With Dr. Khalil Gibran Muhammad In Harlem
The Library’s signature LIVE from NYPL series, which brings together distinguished writers, artists, and scholars for conversations, will also host two special online events:
- Alien Nation: True Tales of Immigration on April 14, 2022, 7 pm. Sofija Stefanovic and friends celebrate immigrant lives in America in this special program marking the publication of a new anthology inspired by Joe’s Pub’s long-running storytelling series “This Alien Nation.” Patrons can register for the event here.
- Bernardine Evaristo and Brit Bennett: Transatlantic Conversations April 26, 2022, 1 pm. The Booker Prize – winning novelist and The New York Times bestseller share stories from their lives in letters. Patrons can register for the event here.
For children, the Festival will also feature bilingual storytimes hosted throughout the month by librarians from branches in the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island.
Parents and caregivers can also access previously recorded videos of storytimes in Ukrainian, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, and French at www.nypl.org/littlelearners, as well as audio recordings of multilingual storytimes at www.nypl.org/storyline.
For more information about the events and activities at the Library’s World Literature Festival, visit www.nypl.org/worldliteraturefestival.
Become a Harlem insider – Sign-Up for our Newsletter!